Posted on | June 2, 2016 | 6 Comments
It looks like everything with my blog is back in action. The previous post went up, then after a day my whole blog disappeared. Apparently my website had something that was not compatible with WordPress updates and this created an error. Thankfully all has been rectified now – thanks, Tim!
After a long, long time I have finally completed my Fernhill quilt. It was another UFO that kept being put aside as other priorities came along. But is was too gorgeous to be left unfinished for a long time.
If you follow the link you will see that I have gone in a totally different direction with my colours. If you follow this link, you can see a lot of different colourways.
Unfortunately it appears that the pattern is no longer available.
For a small quilt, ( 28 X 28 ins.), it has involved a lot of work – embroidery, applique, piecing. bias strips, yo-yos and then quilting.
The centre panel was the largest.
I used a small meander/stipple on each block – very tricky in between the leaves. After the quilting was done, the final touch was to add a hand painted wooden button to each block.
There are four inner blocks surrounding the centre, each with a different button.
The four outer blocks incorporated applique animals, the vine and the yo-yos, as well as their own buttons.
Photos are great for showing work detail, but they also pick up mistakes very quickly. I ran out of fabric to make the bias tape for the vines and had to do a lot of stitching on the curves to make it sit flat. I have also noticed that there is one spot on the rabbit block where I have not covered a join in the vine with a yo-yo. I can see that will be my first sewing task for today.
All in all I am delighted with this finish.
I still have several more of Lynette’s projects to work on. There are mini Christmas decorations calling out for a finish.
Good luck with all of your finishes for this week.